Unfortunately, illness is a part of life. Thankfully, most illness is minor and self limiting. We have been helping parents care for their sick children for many years and have created a system that works. One of our most important goals is to empower parents through education. Please take advantage of this website, as we have provided invaluable resources to help you deal with many of the common concerns that all parents will encounter.
When your child is ill, please take the following steps:
- In the event of a true emergency, call 911 or proceed immediately to the nearest emergency room . If your child has a toxic ingestion, call poison control first at 800-222-1222 .
- When your child is acutely ill (fever, cough, vomiting, rash) consult our website program called KidsDoc Symptom Checker . This site will answer most of your questions and help you decide if your child needs to be seen in the office. We have also provided multiple articles and websites in our patient education section. Please use these resources to help better understand your child’s illness.
- During our normal business hours, you can contact our nurses by phone. Our experienced pediatric nurses will advise you as to home care or the need for an office visit.
- If you want to have your child seen for any reason, simply request an appointment online or call the office that you wish to visit. We will make every attempt to see your child on the day of your call. During high volume periods such as the flu season, we may not be able to accommodate every appointment request. In such situations, our nurses will assess the severity of illness and decide if the child needs urgent evaluation.
- For after hours care that is urgent please call our answering service at 248-691-8686 . A doctor or nurse will call you back as soon as possible. See our after-hours care folder for locations and hours of quality facilities to have your child examined when our office is closed.